“Thyroid” is an integral part of the endocrine system. The gland produces hormones that regulate the body’s metabolic rate as well as heart and digestive function, muscle control, brain development, mood and bone maintenance. When an imbalance of thyroid hormone occurs in our body, it causes various health problems.
Causes of Feeble thyroid functions—
Thyroid imbalance comes about when Ojas [Ojas is the vital energy for the body and mind that is formed from eating clean, nourishing foods for good health], is depleted in the body. As a result, the patient goes through chronic fatigue, tiredness and has weak immunity. Thyroid patients are more susceptible to cough and cold.
Thyroid Disorders with their respective Ayurvedic Treatment [Chikitsa]—
Hypothyroidism may be caused by issues within the thyroid gland that produces an insufficient circulation of the thyroid hormones (T3 and T4). Symptoms show a reduction in metabolism, with the slowing of mental and physical activities. Patients may experience a variety of symptoms e.g.-sensitivity to cold, dryness of the skin, Constipation, Anorexia, Angina pain, Anemia and disordered menstrual function.
Treatment includes a combination of herbal medicines, which is prepared according to the individual health aspects of the patient, along with personalised diet and lifestyle recommendations.
The excessive production of thyroxine characterises hyperthyroidism. Increase in metabolism causes loss of weight and symptoms such as trembling and sweating of hands. Goitre may also be present. Hyperthyroidism treatment which is a combination of personalised medicines, diet and lifestyle recommendations.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Goitre [Thyroid]:
–Jalkumbhi [ an aquatic plant] and drumstick help to improve the level of iodine in the body.
- Dhania (coriander) and Jeerak Siddha Jala help in better recovery from swelling that is sometimes seen in some cases of thyroid problems.
- No raw vegetables, especially Kale, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli and Cauliflower.
- Vitamin D deficiency may trigger thyroid problems. Therefore, exposure to early morning sun is an excellent way to correct the defect. Exercising outdoors in the early morning stimulates thyroid glands, boosts immunity and regulates calcium metabolism.
- It is good to avoid all forms of processed sugar and reduce foods rich in natural sugars.
- Eat food that is rich in Vitamin A such as Green leafy vegetables, fruits like apple and banana.
- Ginger helps in Thyroid so, boil some ginger in water and drink it like tea.
-Kanchanar Guggulu is a fantastic ayurvedic formulation that helps in maintaining the stimulation of thyroid hormones. It also regulates thyroid gland function. Besides, it enhances the glandular functioning to reduce the swelling caused due to Goitre.
The Madras Institute of Ayurveda [MIA] at Chennai, has a full-fledged out-patient department with facilities for consultation in different specialities. It also possesses an in-patient department with well-equipped Panchakarma troupe. Successful treatment programs for a range of diseases are offered.
Log on to www.miayurveda.org for further information on various treatments.