Sandhigata vata or osteoarthritis is one of the most common degenerative joint disorders that affects the joints, cartilage, and bone in the long period. As an Ayurvedic specialist and Ayurvedic Treatment for Osteoarthritis Pain, Chennai clinic, some of the most common complaints that I see in my clinic is osteoarthritis.
Prevalence and risk factors for osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis severely affects day-to-day life, affecting most of the joints that bear the body’s weight. This primarily includes hip and knee joints. Osteoarthritis becomes increasingly common as a person ages, especially over 60 years. Women are also more likely to develop this condition. Obesity is another common risk factor for osteoarthritis.
The other risk factors include following lifestyle that increases stress on the important joints of the body, sedentary lifestyle, occupations that places a lot of strain on the joints, and poor posture. Osteoarthritis is also suspected to have a genetic connection.
Ayurveda categorizes osteoarthritis as a vata roga arising from the toxins that accumulate in the digestive tract, travel through the bloodstream, and finally deposit in the joints that are already at risk for developing osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritis is characterized by progressively severe pain in the joints, stiffness leading to loss of movement in the affected joints. The pain is especially severe in the morning. The joints are often swollen and deformed and severely limit the ability of the person to move around.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Many carefully prepared herbal formulations help control the pain and support in improving the joint mobility.
- Managing diet will help in improving digestion and removing the toxins that stimulate this condition. A stringent food regiment includes adding milk, castor oil, ghee, turmeric, spices such as pepper, ginger.
- Regular fasting also helps reduce the toxic effects of certain foods.
- Herbal massages help in managing the pain and reducing the joint inflammation.
- Regular heat fomentation with herbal concoctions help ease the joint pain.
- Practicing a healthy lifestyle is however key. Regular exercise that is not damaging to the joints is a healthy choice. Yoga is also essential to achieve a healthy mind–body balance.
Kottakkal Ayurveda treatment certainly has a completely balanced approach toward healing the pain and degenerative repercussions of osteoarthritis. A healthy lifestyle with moderate physical activity and stringent food habits will go a long way in providing trusted benefits.